Networker

[Networker] Migrate clients to new Networker Server??

2009-03-04 10:06:46
Subject: [Networker] Migrate clients to new Networker Server??
From: soupdragon <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:01:11 -0500
Unfortunately the client indexes and media database are closely coupled and
connot be moved in bulk independantly. Any migration other than a big-bang
approach is going to be quite painful since a piecemeal approach will involve
rescanning media to recreate the media indexes. If you do decide to move
clients one at a time, ensure you introduce them on the new server with the
same 48 digit Client id that they had on the old server.

>From a UNIX background, the way I would do it is to set up the new server -
>install the Networker software (7.4.1 and 7.4.4 are similar and I don't
>believe any data conversion is done on the upgrade) and get the tape hardware
>working. Shutdown the Networker software on both servers, rename the \nsr
>directory on the new server and copy the entire \nsr directory across from the
>old one. Once copied, shutdown the old server and change the IP and hostname
>on the new server to reflect the old one, reboot and start the software up.
>You will need to rehost your licence keys for the new server and possibly
>reconfigure the tape hardware if the paths are different.

Check daemon.raw log for any errors - indexes are all checked on startup.
Ensure all your tapes drives can mount media and attempt to read a number of
random files from different clients before running any backups

This way clients are unaware of a change of server, your media database and all
your old resources (pools, groups, clinets etc.) are intact and your back out
is simple - shut down new server and boot the old one. Main danger is that once
you have written anything to tape on the new server, backout becomes nigh
impossible :-)

|This was sent by julian.barnett AT standardchartered DOT com via Backup
Central.