Networker

Re: [Networker] backup error with schedule "skip"

2009-02-27 13:28:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup error with schedule "skip"
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:26:19 -0500

>In regard to: RE: [Networker] backup error with schedule "skip",
Teresa...:

>> Here's the detail Tim asked for:
>>
>> The main distinction between the daily, weekly and monthly backups is
>> how long the data needs to be retained.
>>
>> Most of our clients run a full once a week and an incremental each
other
>> day.  The incremental backups are the daily backups.  The full
backups
>> are either weekly or monthly depending on the date.  The first week
of
>> the month, the full backups are monthlies.  The remaining times the
full
>> backups are weekly backups.
>>
>> For example, a clientA may run full backups on Monday.  The schedules
>> for clientA would be:
>> - daily - incremental all, skip Monday
>> - weekly - full Mondays, skip the first Monday of the month
>> - monthly - full the first Monday of the month, skip each other day
>>
>> The daily, weekly and monthly backups each back up to different
pools.
>> Pool selection is based on the group.  Each group is named with a
daily,
>> weekly or monthly extension.  Since each type of backup has a
different
>> retention, this keeps data with the same retention scheme on the same
>> media.
>
>Thanks for the detail -- I understand now why you're doing things the
way
>you are.
>
>Two follow-up questions.
>
>- do the index backups for each of the clients also get stored on the
>   same volumes as the client data?
>
>- if index data is stored on those tapes too, is it ok if the browse
period
>   is short (you can still quickly load the index data via nsrck -L7)?
>
>If the answer to both of those questions is yes AND and you're willing
>to do some relatively simple scripting, I believe you could get rid of
>two thirds of your client definitions and groups.  If you're in the
>"no scripting" crowd, I don't see any way to accomplish your scheduling
>needs other than what you're already doing.

Hmm - this might not be the best time to ask me about scripting around
NetWorker.  The upgrade from v7.2.2 to v7.4.2 seems to have broken major
portions of our monitoring and management scripts.  I guess the answer
is, we script when we have to - but try to avoid it if NW can meet our
requirements.

The index backups for each client do get stored with the data.  We have
the backup server included in each group (with a skip schedule) to make
sure that the index files get retained for the right amount of time (ie,
their retention matches the data's retention).

As far as a short browse time goes, we have always had the browse and
retention periods be the same.  We want to have our environment as
hands-off as possible.  If I need to intervene before a restore can take
place, that doesn't exactly fit that requirement.

Thanks!
Teresa