Networker

Re: [Networker] Persistent Binding - IBM "nonexclusive" drivers

2009-02-27 08:46:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Persistent Binding - IBM "nonexclusive" drivers
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 07:43:31 -0600
Hello,
This behavior might have changed with later drivers, i recall choosing
Tivoli drivers.What install method do you use ( Do you use cmd line
install or update from device manager), Do you expect the driver tab will
show Exclusive or non exclusive drivers ? if so, it does not, what error
do you encounter ? You will just need to be aware that "nonexclusive"
drivers will allow simultaneous access to another application if one is
present , if that happens, you may corrupt networker data or fail backups.
Thanks

brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
02/25/2009 01:13 PM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject

Fazil Saiyed wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Note: Tivoli drivers ( this is an option within ibm drivers during
> install) are recommended as i recall that all the Tivoli driver does it
> disallows simultaneous access to tape drive should another application
on
> the server wants it ( safer that way)
> Additional persistent binding via HBA vendor and via setup from Adic is
> possible and  may be used.
> HTH
>
> <snip>

The Tivoli drivers are the "exclusive" driver in the package, and will not
appear within Networker with or without persistent binding enabled -- at
least on the test machine we've been using.  Only the "non-exclusive" IBM
driver works, and I'm just checking to see if anyone has encountered
anything objectionable about the non-exclusiveness....

Thanks for the info!

--brerrabbit

|This was sent by drhulme AT tarrantcounty DOT com via Backup Central.

type