Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade to LTO4 library, opinions about these libraries ?

2009-02-20 09:04:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade to LTO4 library, opinions about these libraries ?
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:57:48 -0500
 We have 2 Quantum i500 libraries.  One has been in use since November, the
other will be in production next month.  The one that we've been using replaced
a Quantum M2500 with LTO-2 drives.  The i500 has been flawless, the picker is
much faster over the M2500.  We are very happy with the i500 and would
recommend it to anyone.  We have one dual-channel fibre hba at this time.  The
controller shares one of the tape drive channels for communications.  We'd had
2-dual channels SCSI hbas for the LTO-2 library, but we had to retain one of
the hbas for the controller (Dell daughter card) to manage the disk drives.  I
mention this because we have 3 IBM tape drives in the i500, but can only access
2 of them at this time.  Even with that, the LTO-4 drives are so much faster,
that we are completing our largest backups in less time than with 3 LTO-2
drives, about 1/3 - 1/2 less time.

While we have a couple of SANS here, our backups are all server-based file
systems.  Our networker server is RHEL4 on a Dell 2850.  We use v7.4.3
Networker.

You didn't indicate whether you were planning on using tape encryption or not.

Patti Clark
DOE/OSTI