Networker

Re: [Networker] Owner Nofitication in 7.4.4

2009-02-09 11:42:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Owner Nofitication in 7.4.4
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:38:30 -0500
Chester,

I believe that unless told otherwise (repeatedly) the support folks assume that one is running the base release level. I have been burned on at least one occaision when I didn't make it absolutely clear to them what fixes I had already applied and they reverted them both (causing lots of nsrmmd crashes in 7.3.3).

Remember that these are provided as one-off hot fixes. It would likely be reasonable to assume that you would be asked for the laundry list of all the fixes you have previously applied to the base level you are running. However, what happens in reality is we have to be pro-active to force them to listen to us. I find the easiest way is to find out what binary they think they want to replace and give them the "what" output for the existing binary. Thus they know where I'm starting from. I also have to make it clear that I want that fix included in the new fix.

Frank