Networker

[Networker] 7.4 -> 7.4.1 or 7.4.4 and other upgrade questions

2009-02-05 00:36:44
Subject: [Networker] 7.4 -> 7.4.1 or 7.4.4 and other upgrade questions
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 00:33:45 -0500
Preston de Guise wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/02/2009, at 03:57 , J. Carlson wrote:
>

> > 3) To upgrade from 7.4 to 7.4.x do I need to uninstall 7.4 or can I
> > run the
> > upgrade right over my existing 7.4 installation?  I read in the
> > installation
> > guide that a direct upgrade is not supported, but I'm not clear if
> > that was
> > specific to upgrading from 7.3 or for any and all upgrades.
> >

> For Solaris, you typically have to do an uninstall/reinstall, though
> this leaves all configuration files in place.

Note that some Solaris upgrades in Sun's version (EBS) are supplied as Sun
Patches, and should be applied on top of the old install they're designed for
(after the software is shutdown of course).  This is for going up in SP numbers
only, i.e. 7.4.1 to 7.4.4.

I'm of two minds regarding that, as the patch is designed to fix any install,
including Servers.  So I have to lug around a 300-500 meg zip file to upgrade a
~50 meg client tarball.  At times I've given up on this and just downloaded a
current client from Powerlink (which is compatible, but the package names are
different).

--TSK