Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.4.2 -> 7.4.4 or 7.5 - upgrade thoughts/recommendations

2009-02-01 11:04:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.4.2 -> 7.4.4 or 7.5 - upgrade thoughts/recommendations
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 18:02:23 +0200
James Pratt wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU]
On
Behalf Of Yaron Zabary
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 9:47 AM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.4.2 -> 7.4.4 or 7.5 - upgrade
thoughts/recommendations
halomerchant wrote:
<snip>

Networker in my experience and find working out these "bugs" to be a
huge waste of
time. If you can't release a product to the public without fulling
running these QA
tests then you shouldn't be releasing it at all. I appreciate feedback
/ questions on
this.

   Yes, I also think they are having issues with both stability and
delivery of new features. I am not even sure that I want to start a
detailed complaint about it without knowing that someone is going to
actually take these complaints and do something with them.

There are EMC Networker engineers who are working on future
versions/ideas & developers who read/monitor this list, so I would let
it out - it can't hurt, and if its not said, they will never know... :\

My experience is not so great with feedback to the list and I have already mentioned that in the past, EMC employees never reply as it seems that EMC do not encourage open, two-way discussion on this list (or elsewhere). Regardless, I will give it a try:

. Avamar integration is poor. As already mentioned on this thread, EMC should have Avamar better integrated in Networker. I have given up hope of getting any useful dedup from EMC and waiting for ZFS dedup to solve this problem (AFTD on top of deduped ZFS).

. AFTD concurrent operations was not improved since 7.2. You cannot run staging, cloning and recoveries at the same time and I still need to apologize to my users who are trying to run recoveries in the middle of the day while staging is running.

. AFTD staging design is naive. Any non-trivial installation must script staging so that it will work in a more decent way. Some improvements that are missing:

Staging in small chunks (I have seen a staging session that tries to stage over 1Tb in a single session). This allows for recoveries to run after a chunk finishes and also releases space on the AFTD faster (you don't have to wait till 1Tb gets to the tape before you can use the space). My script now tries to stage 15Gb at a time.

Staging which can be triggered only when there is no (or little) activity on the AFTD.

  Delayed staging (copy to tape now, delete when space is actually needed).

Finally fixing the bug from 7.2 which makes nsrstage wait ~2 seconds for every save set between the end of the clone and the start of the deletion of the savesets from the AFTD.

  . Dedup AFTD (like Data Domain).

. NMC shows phantom sessions and misses some running sessions (nsrwatch is OK).

Regards,
Jamie

-- Yaron.