Networker

[Networker] volretent in 7.4.x

2009-01-28 12:19:21
Subject: [Networker] volretent in 7.4.x
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:13:24 -0500
Folks,
I have been working a problem with EMC since Thanksgiving. And it's not going so well. They are hinting that I've got mediadb corruption -- but they aren't saying that...

What I am doing is using the -y flag on nsrclone to give my clones a longer retention time than the original ssid that I'm cloning. mminfo tells me the correct clretent value for the copy on the original volume, but tells me the volretent for the original volume (seemingly) based off the ssretent value which has the longer time for the copy I cloned and sent to the vault.

EMC tells me they can't reproduce the problem. I can very reliably and I thought I remembered someone else that was talking about volretent values being wrong in 7.4 on this list -- of course, I can't find that post with the searches I've been doing this morning.

 Here's how I am able to reproduce it.

1) label a tape into the "Default" pool (which I do not use)
2) pick a client and run "save -y '3 months' -b 'Default' /etc" on it to create an ssid
3) mminfo -q volume=<volume just used> -r ssid,cloneid
  - get the ssid and clone id
4) nsrclone -b 'Default Clone' -y '7 years' -S <ssid>/<cloneid>
5) mminfo -q ssid=<ssid> -r volume,pool,volretent,ssretent,clretent
  - both volumes will be correct at this point with volretent == clretent
6) nsrim -X
7) mminfo -q ssid=<ssid> -r volume,pool,volretent,ssretent,clretent
  - The volume in the Default pool, will now have volretent == ssretent.

Can anyone verify that I'm not blind deaf and dumb.