Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP Scheduling

2009-01-20 09:33:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP Scheduling
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:31:40 -0600
Hello,
Please keep in mind also that when you have large number of tapes to
recovery from the risk of loosing them, something going wrong with them
physically & also possibility of media error keeps going up and up, this
is one of the reasons, i would prefer to have shorter interval between
full.
Thanks

Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
01/20/2009 04:22 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: NDMP Schedling

A Darren Dunham wrote:

> I'm not sure what you're saying about a level 1 acting as an
> incremental.  A level 1 and an incremental are different.  In a normal
> environment, consecutive level 1 jobs will require more volume space
> than consecutive incrementals.

Not necessarily true. Although you will backup more data with a level 1
than an incremental, you will need to keep more volumes to fulfill the
retention requirements. If you have a monthly cycle of incrementals you
will need to keep up to a month of extra incremental backups, since the
incrementals depend on all the other incrementals all the way back to
the previous full. With a monthly cycle of level 1 backups the level 1
backups will expire at exactly the time when the retention period is
reached, depending only on the full.

type