Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker platform change

2009-01-14 11:53:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker platform change
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:50:41 -0600
Hi,
I am not a solaris or Linux guy, but curious if NFS based volume is used
to copy the data between Solaris and linux would that work  to remove the
incompatible file systems, i.e ext3 vs ufs ?
Thanks

Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
01/14/2009 05:42 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Networker platform change

On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Mesut Mert wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> If your nsr is located on EMC storage, simply you can mount your BCV
copy
> to the RHEL server to avoid the long outage. We did that and achived to
> transfer 200 GB index database to the target server within 10 minutes
SAN
> operation. Hope you have similar facilities.
>
> Moreover your case is not really different platform. There are some
> considerations about licensing, but not much about filesystem. We did
> similar migration from Windows to Unix successfully. At that time
migrating
> media database was little bit tricky, not index. Simply we
> exported&imported media database from windows old backup server to
solaris
> new backup server.

It still is trickier if the you are migrating between machines with
different
"endian-ness" as from SPARC -> x86. Very much suggest you do it by
save/restore of the bootstrap. The indexes are saved in XDR format and
should
be OK with just a copy.

Sorry for messing up the (un)logical order in this Q&A, but I hate
top-posting
and couldn't make myself do it this time either ;-)

Best
Dag

type