Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker platform change

2009-01-14 03:11:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker platform change
From: Mesut Mert <mesut.mert AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:06:14 +0400
Hi Keith,

If your nsr is located on EMC storage, simply you can mount your BCV copy to
the RHEL server to avoid the long outage. We did that and achived to
transfer 200 GB index database to the target server within 10 minutes SAN
operation. Hope you have similar facilities.

Moreover your case is not really different platform. There are some
considerations about licensing, but not much about filesystem. We did
similar migration from Windows to Unix successfully. At that time migrating
media database was little bit tricky, not index. Simply we exported&imported
media database from windows old backup server to solaris new backup server.

Please note that if you migrate jukebox too, this can be main consideration
for downtime. We had EMC CDL, so we did not do much hardware jobs at that
time.   Also i assume that the hostname and IP will be used same as what
solaris old backup server is.

FYI, we had prepared the new backup server with complete transferred
databases (res,mm,index) while the new backup server is unplugged from the
network. Before this migration, we had deleted all jukeboxes along with tape
devices and licenses as well. Before the migration, i had created
nsradmin script to create licenses quickly.  So our migration from Windows
to Unix with complete test and validations took totally 6 hours at the end.
Also we had 300 backup clients and such a big environment using 4 VTL and 2
physical libraries.

Mesut