Networker

Re: [Networker] Bootstrap Report

2009-01-13 16:32:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bootstrap Report
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:28:22 -0600
> Stan Horwitz
>
> Your bootstrap reports will be useless if you can't get to them. Set up
an
> email account on your favorite free email provider and set up a
scheduled
> job to email the bootstrap reports to that address once a day.
>
> Your entire data center can blow up that way, but you'll still have your
> bootstrap reports. If you send tapes off-site, including the ones with
your
> daily bootstrap data (savegrp -O), then recovering your NetWorker server
> somewhere else will be fairly easy in a DR situation.

Also, don't forget to have a copy of your enablers / auth codes offsite
(I've scripted that from nsradmin). In fact, it could be useful to have a
text file dump of all of nsradmin's output, just as an ultimate fallback.

We tried to think of whatever might be vital, or even help to expedite
recovery, and we get that info if we can. Each site will be different in
that regard, though. We retrieve all kinds of useful system info nightly.
Not all of it goes offsite, but enough does to allow us to rebuild in a DR
situation. It was a good feeling to go through our first DR test a few
years ago and have things actually work.  :-)