Networker

Re: [Networker] mminfo query question

2009-01-12 18:00:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] mminfo query question
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:57:43 -0600
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
01/12/2009 04:44:41 PM:

> A Darren Dunham

> Not in general, and you don't even have the option of using ranges on
> ssids and cloneids.
>
> Even when ranges are allowed, there have been several bugs with mminfo
> handling them properly.
>
> I think you need to just print them all out, then post-process it in a
> more general scripting language.

I was kind of afraid of that...

What I'm trying to do is write (or correct, actually) a general purpose
script. It's mostly for the benefit of our other non-backup admins when
they're oncall and will:

1. List all valid savesets backed up in a given group over a given period
of days

2. Throw out those ssids that may have already been cloned

3. Throw out those ssids that were involved in tape errors during that
time, if any (the user supplies a list of tapes when prompted by my
script). I wrote a Perl script several months ago that parses daemon.log
for tape errors, which is real handy for homing in quick on what errored.
It's usually not much if anything at all. But, I just betcha that Perl
logic will break loudly when we upgrade from 7.2 to 7.4x...  :-\

4. Constructs a crontab entry that will allow the to kick off cloning (of
all valid, non-cloned ssids that don't live on suspect tapes).

I've written such a script, but I'm not warm and fuzzy about its accuracy
at this point and using mminfo as I was requesting would have eliminated
some shell logic from my script. In fact, I'd like to use mminfo's
capabilities as much as possible (bugs notwithstanding) rather than trying
to duplicate it via the shell.

Thanks.