Networker

[Networker] Question on client index for a non-active client

2009-01-08 14:38:34
Subject: [Networker] Question on client index for a non-active client
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:36:56 -0500
If you have a client with, say, a 1 month browse policy, and you remove the client from all active groups, but you don't remove the index, and let's say you keep the NSR client resource then will the index entries still get truncated on a daily basis? Will they eventually all get removed, or will they just remain preserved as is indefinitely?

If they remain (because the client isn't active) then would you always be able to browse back to that date even, say, a year later even though that would be well beyond the browse period?

I know that active clients will update their indexes each day, so there's always entries getting purged and new ones added, and you won't be able to browse back too far beyond the browse policy - well, maybe one month plus one cycle (the full before that), but that's about it. Not sure what happens when a client is taken off the backups, though.

The reason I ask this is because I'm trying to determine how long I should wait after a client has been removed from the network (excessed) before removing its index. For older clients, I've been removing the client from all active groups, but leaving the resource entry and index.

Regardless, the correct order would be to remove the NSR client resource, shut down NW and then remove the client index directory, restart NW, correct?

Thanks.

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210