Networker

[Networker] Linux cluster mystery

2009-01-06 13:48:02
Subject: [Networker] Linux cluster mystery
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:45:28 -0500
Hello all;

I have two Linux clusters that are backed up to a Linux NetWorker 7.4.2
NetWorker server. One cluster is for production and the other is
preproduction. Both clusters and the backup server are running Red Hat Linux
AS 4.5. Both clusters have one active and one passive node and they each
share data on an EMC SAN.

The backups of the production cluster are working fine. Not so for the
preproduction cluster. On the preproduction cluster, when I run the backup
of the virtual client node, it always goes to the active cluster node and
that's where the index data is saved.

I have the appropriate "save -c" command in the preproduction virtual
cluster that references its cluster alias. I am stumped about why this isn't
working. Each time the backup for the preproduction cluster runs, it acts as
a full backup because it can't see its index data. We can recover the data
as long as we do it on the physical node that owns it (but that's not
desirable).

I must be missing something not so obvious. I reviewed the cluster section
of the NetWorker Admin Guide and I did a PowerLink knowledgebase search, but
nothing there shed any light on this problem. I am stumped as to why this is
working on the production cluster, but not on the preproduction cluster.

I also checked for the presence of the /nsr/bin/pathownerignore on our two
production cluster physical nodes. Its not there, so I assume putting it on
the two physical nodes in the preproduction cluster won't help.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.