Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Training

2008-12-23 14:39:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Training
From: Rick Brode <rick AT BRODETRAINING DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:36:54 -0700
I completely agree. The EMC Administration course is aimed at new/inexperienced NW admins. However, I've had lots of people with 3-10 years of experience say the class was great and that they got a lot of out it. Obviously, their expectations were considerably different than someone new to the product.

The problem with the old 7.2 Advanced NetWorker class was that most attendees didn't care about all the topics covered. Thus, there were many complaints about having to attend and pay for a 3-day class when they didn't care about 1/4 or 1/3 of the topics/chapters. That is why, when 7.3 came out, each topic was converted to a separate web-based module, made available individually. But even at that, you're right when you say they were just overviews.

The content of the current admin course is geared to be relevant to 90%+ of customers. While NDMP coverage would be great, a large (minority) percentage of people don't use NDMP. Incorporating Avamar would be nice, but in classes I've taught over the last year, I'd say less than 25% of students even knew what Avamar was, and probably 50% didn't know the definition of de-duplication.

So, while I agree all your complaints are valid, I'm also aware of (at least some) of the reasons why EMC is not addressing them. Although I still have contacts in Ed Services, I don't think they're interested in suggestions from a "lowly contractor". :-)

Rick

brerrabbit wrote:
rbrode wrote:
Joe,

I'm kinda curious where you got your information that EMC's NetWorker training is so poor?? Having worked for EMC Education from 2003-2006, I saw the student evaluations for all classes taught by EMC each week. On a 5 point scale, the overall score for NetWorker classes taught in North America and the U.K. were consistently in the 4.7 - 4.9 range. In other words, 94-98% of the students felt that the class was excellent overall.

I wouldn't say that the EMC class is bad, so much as it is incomplete.  It is aimed at
folks that have had no exposure to the product at all, a la "A storage node is a
computer that has back up devices attached....".  For what it does, it is perfectly
adequate, and the instructors I think are very knowledgeable.

But there are gigantic holes in the topics covered, especially if you already
understand the basics.  For example, there is no coverage (none, zip, nada)
about NDMP backups.  Or backups via ANY of the application modules.  Or backing
up Windows clusters.  Or anything remotely advanced (clone job scripting).  Any
any of the new integration with Avamar...... etc etc etc ad nauseum.

And unfortunately, while there is an "Advanced" Networker class in the catalog
it is a) based on the 7.2.2 version, and b) not scheduled any more.

If you have any contacts left at Ed Services, you might pass that along, they
are definitely leaving education dollars on the table.

--brerrabbit