Networker

Re: [Networker] Using volume from wrong pool

2008-12-23 09:10:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using volume from wrong pool
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:07:05 -0600
Hello,
Looks like You are new to networker, Please review the install ,admin & DR
 guides as much as you can, i would advise you to simplify your
configuration as much as possible, reduce the number of pools, groups &
schedules to best of your ability after you have time to review your
config thoroughly.
One side effect of creating lots of pools would be the underutilization of
tapes  and your restores could take longer as if you were to say for
example restore few exchange servers simaltaniouly, you could run into
tape contention, also avoid excessive multiplexing to the physical tape,
intermixing applications, dB & file data may actually help your restores
vs isolating exchange data to exchange tapes, there may be exception such
as applying retention  requirements.
HTH

Italianjoe69 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
12/22/2008 03:46 PM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Using volume from wrong pool

I hope someone can help as I am stumped :(

I am running NW 7.4.2 on Windows 2003 with an STK L700 tape library.
I have MANY groups configured and just a few pools and all pools are
assigned to multiple groups.

For example, I have Exchange groups assigned to Exchange pools and System
groups assigned to System pools.

For the past week I have noticed that when I run an Exchange group it is
looking for a tape in a System pool.  It will even try to label a new tape
using a system pool!!  It has even used a tape in the default pool, which
is NOT assigned to any group.

I have tried recreating pools and assigning them to the proper groups, but
I am still seeing the error.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Joe

|This was sent by jinfanti AT harris DOT com via Backup Central.

type