Networker

Re: [Networker] Compress Savesets

2008-12-09 14:41:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Compress Savesets
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:31:31 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Compress Savesets, Todd Bakken said (at...:

You should be able to perform hardware level queries/sets via the
cdi_set_compression/cdi_get_xxxx commands against the tape drive in
question. I've had to run this in my environment because somehow the
tape drive hardware compression was not enabled by default. The cdi
command line tools are installed with EMC Networker.

Davina pointed out a few weeks ago that starting in NetWorker 7.4.3,
nsrlcpd locks the jukebox device, so external commands that try access
the jukebox would fail.  Do you know if the cdi_* commands actually
go through nsrlcpd, or whether they would also fail in 7.4.3 if nsrlcpd
is running?

I personally think it's a step in the wrong direction for nsrlcpd to be
locking out everything else, but since we're not running 7.4.3 yet, I'm
going to hold off contacting EMC about the issue until I know what impact
it will really have in our environment.

Tim
edu