Networker

Re: [Networker] NAS, iSCSI, and non-NDMP backup

2008-12-03 12:57:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] NAS, iSCSI, and non-NDMP backup
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:52:18 -0600
Hello,
You can try sharing the same lun\qtree\vol once RW for the writes and
second time Read only to the backup server either NFS or CIFS  and you can
accomplish that.I am not sure why you want to do that any way, since most
of the backup overhead is with the filer, that is not going to change if
you backup from a different  server ?
some folks use snapmirror or flexclone  and do their backup on secondary
NAS system to reduce impact on primary filer.
Thanks

tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
12/03/2008 05:08 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject

Fazil Saiyed wrote:
> Hello,
> Before you go down the path of backing up NAS without NDMP Licences, you
should consider what are you putting at risk, how large is your data store
going to be, what will be the recovery objectives and will it be reliable
backups? what is your backup window & will you be able to meet it ? You
may allest want to consider snapshots for onsite recovery along with all
your backup\recover scenarios & test them.
> HTH

Most of this I have already, as the NAS is eventually replacing both a
MSCS cluster (sharing out a single 500 gig disk - which is serving four
different uses unfortunately), and a Veritas cluster (for the UNIX-side
mounts, about 90 gig split over several shared partitions).  There is also
some overflow onto one other server (PC side of course) to the tune of
about 200 gig.

The backup window is currently 30 hours on the Full (which is what the
current MSCS cluster is doing, *barely*, and I hope to fix that just by
splitting the monolithic 500 gig share into several purpose-built shares).

'Snaps are a hard sell here, unless you can recover an individual file
from within the snap.

Still don't have an answer to my original question though - can you mount
an iSCSI LUN from the NAS on two different Sun hosts (the second one being
for backup only)?  If that will not be possible for backup, then we'll
either do all NFS or go and get the license.

--TSK

|This was sent by t.s.kimball AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

type