Networker

Re: [Networker] Making inactive clients not use licenses?

2008-11-27 13:12:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Making inactive clients not use licenses?
From: Rich Graves <rgraves AT CARLETON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:05:28 -0600
Peter Viertel wrote:
> A client licnese is checked for and allocated to a client each time a
> backup is attempted. You can get the license back by deleting the client
> record... If you then recreate the client, no license will be allocated
> so long as you're only restoring from it..

And how does NetWorker track that information? With the "enabler in use:"
attribute. NetWorker will tell you that it's a read-only attribute, but (like
other read-only attributes) this is not enforced by nsradmin in offline mode.
So here's what I do instead of deleting clients.

1) Shut down NetWorker.

2) nsradmin -d /nsr/res/nsrdb

   p aliases: retiredclient
   update enabler in use: No; group: Dead and Retired Servers
   exit

3) Start NetWorker.

nsrlic -v will confirm that retiredclient is "defined," but no longer using a
license.
--
Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves
Carleton.edu Sr UNIX and Security Admin