Networker

[Networker] Making inactive clients not use licenses?

2008-11-26 13:49:21
Subject: [Networker] Making inactive clients not use licenses?
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:45:15 -0500
First up, to answer Stan's question:  My definition of 'safe' mostly means 'no
scanning' since these backups are almost 100% manual.  We're almost at the
point where the 'save' and 'mminfo' commands have turned into an API!

We can, however, let the 'normal' index expire since saveset recovers are
doable (about 1-5 files in each backup).  In fact I've done this once before,
marking the target offsite tapes as 'readonly + manual' and just replacing with
new ones.

[Yes, we do backup these indexes.  But its a royal pain whenever its done since
trying to get 60+ client index backups to stay on one tape (and without 'media
alert' pages) is like trying to herd cats!]

Peter's suggestion below is the most likely route here for us (my suspicion
about how this license works was implying it, but wanted to see if anyone else
had taken the plunge first :) ).  I'll see if I can run a quick test this
weekend on a client who's backup is going to totally expire soon.

Thanks All,
--TSK