Networker

Re: [Networker] sizing Exchange 2003 incrementals through networker

2008-11-18 18:21:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] sizing Exchange 2003 incrementals through networker
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:18:29 +1100
A) the query:

mminfo -X -q 'client={clientname},savetime>2 weeks ago'

B)

Using netapps...    This is a huge question, but you need to get the
basic understanding of what snapshots are on a netapp - the data doesn't
get copied, just the block allocation tree, so no matter how big your
data is the snapshot only takes a few seconds. The down side is of
course that if you have a very busy workload the amount of space take up
by blocks owned solely by snapshots will be large - that's a site
dependant thing, though. Netapp from experience expect around 20% of
space to be snapshots for an average fileserver load, but with exchange
I don't know what the ballpark figure would be.

Next thing is if you are planning to run copies of your snapshots off to
tape, then you need to allow for keeping some snapshots online for long
enough to do the backup, and your restore solution will not be simple.
There's the solution of using further netapp technology to copy snaps
off to secondary disk space, and this really only works if you forget
about using tape altogether and buy enough disk storage/additional
filers to do it...

Bring your chequebook with you, you may end up with less disk than other
solutions, but netapp don't give their software away for free.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.