Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade to 7.4 SP3 ( Windows )

2008-11-18 09:00:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade to 7.4 SP3 ( Windows )
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:57:32 +0200
Matthew Huff wrote:
1) Yes, you have to stop the services. After stopping the services, I would
copy the entire NSR directory somewhere else so if you have to undo the
upgrade, it will be easy. Depending on the size of your indices, this may or
may not be easy.

2) It's a good idea to make sure that the catalog is consistent before any upgrade. The
nsrim -X, nsrck -m won't take much time, but be prepared for a long process for the
"nsrck -L6".

If you need to run to run nsrck -L6, I suggest that you will do that in parallel. I use the following script (on Solaris) to get things to run faster:

#!/bin/sh

cd /nsr/index
CLIENTS=`du -sk * | sort -nr | awk '{print $2}'`

for client in $CLIENTS
do
echo $client
at -s -qd now<<EOB
time nsrck -L6 $client
EOB
sleep 1
done

You need to add the third line to queuedefs for the above to work. It runs 20 jobs (on a 24 threads T1000). Since this process is CPU bound there is no point in doing much more than your processors (say five for your typical quad core Intel CPU).

# cat /etc/cron.d/queuedefs
a.4j1n
b.10j2n90w
d.20j4n60w

With the above I was able to check 70Gb of index which took over 22 hours in under four hours.

3) Yes, and you must. The one hard rule is that the server and all storage
nodes have to be the same version.