Networker

[Networker] connection reset errors, keepalive registry tweak.

2008-11-17 10:14:44
Subject: [Networker] connection reset errors, keepalive registry tweak.
From: Johannes Karl Karlsson <johannes.karlsson AT SKYRR DOT IS>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:55:38 -0500
Hi.

We're dealing with a problem backing up big files over 100mb Cisco VPN
tunnel (encripted). We get "Connection reset by peer" when doing a manual
backup from the client after the backup has been running for 10hours. The
file is 100GB.

EMC is telling us to tweak the registry on the Backup server and the client
(both Server 2003 SP2, Legato 7.4.2), as per:

https://solutions.emc.com/nsepn/webapps/stqv768481dmts46655278/emcsolutionvi
ew.asp?id=esg60759

That is create this key for both the client and ther server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\keepal
ivetime

and specify for how many m seconds to keep idle session alive.

What I'm wonderig about is whether this could affect something else on the
client (Exchange 2007) in a negative way? Or is it a safe operation with
security in mind?

How are you troubleshooting timeout problems? Any utilities that are useful?