Networker

[Networker] Backup WithVSS Client: Microsoft Application Module

2008-11-03 15:43:15
Subject: [Networker] Backup WithVSS Client: Microsoft Application Module
From: psoni <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:35:52 -0500
Has anyone used NMM for VSS client resource with CLARiiON devices ?

I found the following known issues mentioned in the release notes.

To protect a NMM using CLARiiON or Symmetrix storage:

&#9670; Install Solutions Enabler on a local volume (a volume that is not a
CLARiiON or Symmetrix volume). When Solutions Enabler is installed on a local
volume, the snapshot is taken with the software-based VSS System provider.

&#9670; Do not specify save set All.

&#9670; Create at least two client resources for the NMM. Create one client
resource for the local volume on which Solutions Enabler is installed and
create another client resource for the CLARiiON or Symmetrix volumes. Local
volumes without Solutions Enabler installed can be included in any client
resource.

&#9670; Ensure that the client resource for the local volume on which Solutions
Enabler is installed and the client resource for the CLARiiON or Symmetrix
volumes are not assigned to the same backup group.

Questions:

[1] What is solution enabler. Is it the application module or somwthing else?

[2] If i create seperate client resource with CLARiiON volumes as save sets,
will those devices be backed up as using VSS ?

Thanks
-Parth