Networker

Re: [Networker] Backups in Solaris containers

2008-10-23 14:36:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backups in Solaris containers
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:33:46 -0500
Hello,
Would DataDomain VTL apply to your issue ? It can do dedupe and
replication.
Thanks

"Coty, Edward" <Edward.Coty AT AIG DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
10/23/2008 01:30 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
"Coty, Edward" <Edward.Coty AT AIG DOT COM>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Backups in Solaris containers

All,

We seem to be on the cutting edge and no vendor seems to have the right
answer. I am wondering if anyone has been down this road and has anything
that might be helpful.

Environment

Solaris 10 containers running Oracle, UDB, and SYBASE databases.

Our first option would be to use frame based replication. EMC replication
manager is not supported in containers and HDS has no frame based
replication tool.

We are now looking at using the modules to run hot backups to
physical/virtual tape. We are working with the vendor to see if we can
present FC tape devices to the local zones.

We could continue down the road of DB dumps but we are using up too much
storage to accomplish this. We have thought about clustering the DB dump
file systems to a dedicated storage node and having the DB dump file
systems backed up that way but again we are trying to minimize our SAN
consumption.

Has anyone in Happy Backup land been presented with these challenges and
implemented anything that works remotely well.

We are talking about over 100 DB instances over 48 physical servers with I
am sure 100 local containers.

EDWARD COTY

LEAD STORAGE ENGINEER, LCNA, NACP

WORK - 973-533-2098