Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 and tape library encryption

2008-10-23 04:37:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 and tape library encryption
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:31:33 +0100
goony wrote:
> Note: You cannot have Networker doing both data compression and data
> encryption - you will have to chose one or the other.
>
> I used to do data compression, and I was able to keep 2+ days worth of
> backups from my 30+ servers on 1TB of disk space... but in order to enable
> software encryption, I had to turn OFF the compression and WOW did the demand
> for disk space grow!

IMHO encryption and compression are both best left to hardware. If you
have LTO-4 drives in a suitable library and with appropriate key
management software, you can encrypt with very little impact on hardware
compression or performance.

If you are not using physical tape, then what would be the point of
encrypting the backups anyway? I have heard customers asking about
encrypting to an EDL and I think these people have really not thought it
through.

Are you doing backup to disk? Why would you want to encrypt that?