Networker

[Networker] displaying or querying offsite mode

2008-10-21 19:16:36
Subject: [Networker] displaying or querying offsite mode
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:11:07 -0400
This field was actually brought up in a post here about a year ago.  Evidently,
there is a hidden yes/no field in the database called offsite that is separate
from location.  You can have location set to whatever you want, but that does
not mean that it's not offsite.....yes, I can see the confused look on your
face.

We've seen the side effects of this when we attempt to do a restore, and our
Networker server prefers to use physical media (which happens to be at another
location) rather than the savesets on our VTL.  That does not always happen,
but I know of at least three occasions this year.

Allegedly (according to last year's post and the folks at EMC World this year),
if you set the hidden offsite attribute to true (on the physical media in my
example), then the problem is resolved, i.e. the copy on the VTL is preferred
as a restore point because it is local.  Sometimes setting the media/saveset
that is at the other location as suspect will accomplish the same thing, but
I've seen that fail too.  was9999, we were contemplating using this offsite
flag in our eject scripts to avoid these problems, but AFAIK mminfo cannot
query what the setting is....that was the case last year and it still seems to
be true.  That was a deal-breaker for us, and we have not implemented it.  I've
no knowledge of whether it's still the case with 7.4 (we're running 7.3.3).  I
can hunt up the name of the post and the post date from last year if anyone is
interested.....

Hope that helps...

-brerrabbit