Networker

[Networker] Selecting the first tape an nsrclone will need

2008-10-15 04:57:26
Subject: [Networker] Selecting the first tape an nsrclone will need
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 04:49:31 -0400
Francis Swasey wrote:
> Aha!  Thank you!  I had completely overlooked the possibility of breaking the
> given list of ssid's down further and running nsrclone with a set of ssid's
> that are known to be completely contained or at least start on the tape that
> I mount!  That's brilliant!!!!
>
> Now to go write that algorithm in perl -- which is slightly less likely to
> cause brain damage than csh :-)

That was written nearly 8 years ago, in response to growing pains in our former
all-DLT environment.  Our weekend Full back then was larger than 15 tapes
(eventually becoming 24+), and it was imperative to speed that up by doing as
few parallelism-based operations as possible (based on early discussions here
on this list).  I had plans to split operations to allow four of my eight
drives to spin, but with disk as my primary target, and our switch to LTO,
that's kinda moot now.

One caveat here - recovering from something happening in the middle of this
setup can be utter hell.  Plan for it...

--TSK

Tim Kimball, Sungard/BRASS