Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker

2008-10-13 16:26:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:21:13 -0500
Hello,
When vmware script does it's backup it dumps data to the proxy server (
AFTD or local Drive\Data Domain), i don't believe this backup can go
directly to tape, after initial snapshot  of VMGuest, Networker backs up
the data ( lun\vmdk etc -Image backup) to Tape and keeps track of content.
Does any one know if backing up image allows you to restore files ? from
the Guest ? ( like ESX ranger does ?) or do you have to restore the entire
image and  then pick a file.
HTH

James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
10/13/2008 01:27 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: VCB & Networker

http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1122

Not bad! Now if they would just update it for 7.4.3...

Not sure if the "file type device" is really needed if your nw server is
your vcb proxy - I would think that is extra config work for nothing,
but it makes sense in a "legato" sort of way. ;)

....Or if the change journal really needs to be disabled in the vm you
wish to backup ? ... I don't recall ever reading/doing that and my vcb
backups/restores appear to work fine? Any thoughts/info there?

Regards,
jamie

type