Networker

[Networker] Use of symbolic names for backups?

2008-10-09 12:46:56
Subject: [Networker] Use of symbolic names for backups?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 12:44:57 -0400
Hi,

I have a question here on the use of the '-N' option with the save command. What is the real value of using this? Does anyone have any advice, admonishments or bad experiences they care to share?

I've tested this, and it appears that it simply replaces the standard save set name with whatever you use instead. So, something like:

'save -s server -l full -N slash /'

would back up the root file system, and mminfo would report it as 'slash' and not '/'. Otherwise, everything else., e.g. nsrinfo, nwrecover, recover, 'recover -S ssid', etc. appears to all work as usual.

It seems kind of cool in some respects. For example, if you had a directory named '/3/exports/data001', you could back it up numerous times using 'save -N data001', and at some point in the future, you could move 'data001' to another file system, or maybe even to another server, and still have the same save set name (data001) show up in mminfo for all the various instances. So for reporting purposes, I can see that this might make things easier, and, of course, it does allow you to query on that symbolic name. *BUT* it kind of bothers me that the real path name isn't also listed. There could be times when you might want to see the real path name to know where that directory or entity lived on the client at the time of the backup. Would be nice if NetWorker recorded both. As near as I can tell, however, the symbolic name is not used for anything other than the save command itself. When using nwrecover and command line browsable recover, I still see the real path. The man page for recover doesn't indicate any way to specify this symbolic name, so recovering by save set still requires the ssid with an optional full path name, and still reports recovering files within, say, '/' to target_dir and not recovering files within 'data001' to target_dir.

Perhaps if you have very specific directory name(s) that would not be used anywhere else then this might make mminfo queries slick, but if you're using a specific pool for the backups, wherein only those save sets write to that pool, you could simply query based on that pool, and parse the save set names for the directory portion of the path. Wouldn't that achieve the same thing?

George

--
George Sinclair
NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center