Networker

Re: [Networker] Actual compression of a saveset?

2008-10-07 11:56:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Actual compression of a saveset?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:53:04 +0000
On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 10:29:33AM -0400, brerrabbit wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Does anyone know of a way to get a report of the nominal size of a
> saveset and the actual space consumed on media (where tape compression
> has been enabled)?

Nope.  While modern drives probably know that information, there's no
standard way of inspecting it easily.  So no commercial application that
I know of tries to grab it.

If you have a particular model drive, look at the user manual.  There's
often a scsi page that you can read that shows capacity or compression
information.

> The reason I ask is that our SQL DBAs are eager to start encrypting
> their flat-file backups, and I'd like to investigate the impact on
> that on the amount of space they will consume.  I know it will be
> more, but I'd like to know just how much.

Do their backups go to a pool of their own?  If so, just read the
capacity of full tapes before and after.  You won't get an instant
reading, but you will notice if the full tape capacity is reduced.

If they're intermixed with other backups on tapes, then this isn't going
to be as useful.

--
Darren