Networker

Re: [Networker] ALL Clients suddenly started failing

2008-10-06 09:19:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] ALL Clients suddenly started failing
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:16:55 -0400
I was afraid of this.... Of course it's working flawlessly now....

Whomever decided to make Networker dependent on an outside service like DNS
made a very foolish decision IMHO... In a Disaster Recovery situation, you're
not always going to have DNS up and working, it's just one more requirement you
have to provide for and sometimes it can be very hard to provide. Making your
BACKUPS DEPENDANT on DNS is STUPID !!! I liked the old EMC EDM product where
you maintained your own host file for client name resolution and did not depend
on an outside service like DNS. Backup processes and procedures should be
self-sufficient , period ....