Networker

Re: [Networker] :<1>continuing save 2000 MB

2008-10-03 12:07:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] :<1>continuing save 2000 MB
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:04:23 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] :<1>continuing save 2000 MB, helenjay said (at...:

Solaris 9, Networker 7.3.2.

7.3.2 was pretty buggy.  Have you applied any patches, or are you using
vanilla 7.3.2?   You should consider upgrading to 7.3.4 or 7.4.2 or
later, if at all possible.

Every now and then I get the odd backup that says
":<1>/uni7/oradata/test continuing save 2000 MB" and so on through the
backup and successfully completes.

This was the way the product used to handle filesystems larger than the
2 GB barrier.  You generally will only see it now if you have a NetWorker
client that's still based on pre-V6 code.  Are you backing up any NetWare
clients, or perhaps an old Linux client that's using a very old version
of the client software?

 Saving in 2000MB chunks.

They're called "continuation savesets".

 If I go to
restore from this backup, it doesn't exist.

Support for continuation savesets has become more and more of an
afterthought for EMC as fewer and fewer clients still use them.  When
we upgraded to 7.1.x, we discovered that Legato had accidentally broken
continuation savesets (restores didn't work).   We eventually got a fix,
but it took a long time.

We were told by EMC support that version 7.3.x would no longer support
clients that still used continuation savesets.  Perhaps that's the issue
you're seeing?

Tim
edu