Networker

[Networker] How to set up for Vmware master server backups

2008-10-03 11:58:38
Subject: [Networker] How to set up for Vmware master server backups
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:53:14 -0400
I'll tackle the easy part of your question first, i.e. backing up the ESX host.
 Most VM admins I know (and I use to do that a bit myself) don't bother backing
up the host.  Supposedly it's feasible, but the pain usually doesn't justify
the reward.  There is *almost* no unique data on each host, and what there is,
e.g. virtual ethernet switch definitions, is very easy and quick to put back in
place manually, and I suspect it would be vary hard to restore.  In our
experience it was much, MUCH quicker to just reinstall ESX, in fact the head
admin wrote a very nifty script that automated the install so that it took
about 15 min to run.

If your folks really want some recovery options for the host, a much simpler
approach would be to build the host to boot from SAN and then keep a clone of
the LUN lying around.  The hosts don't consume much space for the kernel, so
it's generally not a big burden.

As for the tougher bit, the VMWare consolidated backup, I'd strongly recommend
you read the VMWare documentation first.  I've never looked at the Networker
implementation because the 7.3 version had a bad reputation, but supposedly
it's better in 7.4 - I can't vouch personally for either, so please take that
with a grain of salt.  We did look strongly at the vRanger (by vizioncore)
implementation of VCB and strongly considered combining that with Networker, a
la vRanger would perform the VCB portion and fetch flat file backups of the
VM's and place them on to a Networker storage node, which would get them to
tape.  If you DO play with the Networker implementation of VCB, you might
consider setting up the VCB proxy server as a storage node (if you haven't
already thought of this), so that the backup traffic avoids the ethernet
network completely.  We ended up rejecting the VCB route to go with Avamar for
a variety of other reasons however....

HTH
-brerrabbit