Networker

[Networker] General NetWorker Admin Questions for the New Guy

2008-10-01 15:07:20
Subject: [Networker] General NetWorker Admin Questions for the New Guy
From: JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:04:50 -0400
I am new to NetWorker administration and have collected a list of questions
that I don't have answers to after reviewing NetWorker documentation.  The
documentation was either not clear or not present at all in regard to the
following inquiries:

1.  Server Parallelism.  How do you determine the proper level of parallelism?
Further, I have noticed a number of NetWorker resources with an attribute
related to parallelism.  What is the limiting attribute:  group, client, or
media pool resource?  Any recommendations to setup properly?

2.  What is the verdict on consolidate backups?  I found little information
detailing their usefulness.  I am planning on running incremental backups Sun -
Friday with full backups every Saturday.

3.  What is the best method to remove cloned volumes for offsite storage?  What
I say remove, extract from my tape library.  Do I need to change the mode
within NetWorker administration?

4.  In regard to the cloning process.  My backup strategy involves incremental
backups Sun-Friday and full backups Sat.  The last Saturday in the month, I
want to perform a clone (with different retention policies) of a full backup
and store off site.  How can this be scheduled or configured within NetWorker?
If there is a better strategy, please feel free to comment.  I have 20 clients
with 2 LTO3 drives in a 38-port tape library.

5.  Why are some of the NSR peer information resources (Certificates) named by
their FQDN rather than the hostname alone?  Are there any implications?
Windows clients are listed by their host name, not the FQDN.

6.  What is the best NetWorker server configuration for dual NICS?  Smart Load
Balancing, Link Aggregation, Failover? I have the broadcom NICS from Dell that
have TOE support... However, I rebuilt my NW server on Windows 2008, which does
not have support for TOE yet.  I have 2 LTO3 drives that are on an Ultra
SCSI320 bus.... not sure what the max speed is off the top of my head.

7.  How many writes/reads can you perform on LTO3 media until you start to see
errors?

8.  In regard to open files.  I know that VSS is now standard on Windows 2003,
2008, and Vista.  What about Windows XP?  What do you recommend for an Open
File Manager?  Does Windows Change Journal Manager take care of this?

9.  I have read a lot about maximum block size.  How do you find out what block
size provides the best performance?  Where do you change the device block size?
 Further, how do you find out what the maximum block size is in Windows 2008?

Thanks for your time.