Networker

Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable

2008-10-01 15:05:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:01:21 -0400
> > automatically, periodically).  If you run e.g.
> >
> >     nsrim -Xv
> >
> > and then re-run your mminfo query, are the results the same?
>
> No! Afterward:
>
> 2677082318 admin_nt13 MSSQL:                         7/30/2008 08:35
PM
> 9/30/2008 11:59 PM vrEF E        expired
>
> So how "periodically" does "nsrim -X" happen, anyway? Obviously, I'm
> seeing savesets that *should* be marked as "expired" that aren't,
because
> of long intervals between "nsrim -X" runs. Perhaps the interval needs
> be shortened? If I had waited to check this volume on 2008-10-03,
would I
> have seen the same results? Should I run a scheduled task once a week
(or
> more frequently) that issues a "nsrim -X"?
>
> Once again, Tim comes through for me. :-) Thanks.

When we were running 7.4.1 (win32) , we had sporadic issues where (some)
random tapes would for whatever reason not recycle automatically (or
perhaps nsrim -X was not running enough?) , despite all/any savesets
having expired from it

It wasn't bad enough to warrant a support call, and then upgrading to
7.4.2 seemed to have fixed it...

Regards,
jamie