Networker

Re: [Networker] Does a tape marked as "FULL" ever expire and become recycable?

2008-10-01 09:18:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Does a tape marked as "FULL" ever expire and become recycable?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:15:03 +0100
MIchael Leone wrote:
Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 09/30/2008 06:11:33

I am wondering why you would think this? Why would the fact that the tape is full have any bearing on it being recycled?

I ask, because I had a tape that was close to 3 months old, that have not gone into recycle mode. I didn't think to check to see if there were savesets on that tape that depended on other savesets not expiring (I doubt it, as any "related" savesets should also have expired; it was a "daily" tape, so if there were any savesets on that tape that depeended on another tape, the other tape should also have been a "daily" tape, and expired, too). However, I've now manually re-labeled that particular tape, so I can't check anymore.

It is a little clearer to me now. You had a tape that you thought should have expired and you were guessing at reasons for this.

In this case it is advisable first to run nsrim, so that all dependencies are up to date. Then run an mminfo query to discover what unexpired save sets remain on the volume. Then take each of those save sets in turn and investigate why they have not yet expired, again using mminfo. Following that all should become clear.

I am sure I do not have to spell out the mminfo commands for this.