Networker

[Networker] NetWorker Client Woes

2008-09-30 19:03:16
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker Client Woes
From: JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:58:54 -0400
Thanks for the info.  Do you recommend modifying the NSR system port range
resource for each client (Under Local Hosts in Configuration Window within NW
Administrator).  Here is my current thoughts on the firewall configuration:

1. Calculate the NW Server service port range with this formula:  12 + 2 * (2
tape drives) + (1 jukeboxes) = 17 ports

2.  Change the NSR system port range resource for the NetWorker Server:
Service Ports:  7937-7953

3. Modify the NetWorker Server Firewall Configuration to allow for incoming
connections on the port range 7937-7953

4. Update the exterior firewall, separating my clients from the NW server, to
allow incoming connections to the NW server on ports 7937-7953

5. Calculate the ports for the clients, 5 ports total for each client w/ 7937
and 7938 reserved

6  Modify the client firewall to allow for incoming connections on ports
7937-7941

7. Use the nsrports command to change the service ports for the client to
7937-7941

8. No change needed on the external firewall, server VLAN is allowed to access
any port on any host in Workstation VLAN

Did I forget anything... seems like a cumbersome process when adding a new
client.  What happens if the defaults a left alone, 7937-9936 for the NSR
system port range resource on the clients (meaning that I just install client
and leave the defaults)... however, I only open ports 7937 and 7938 on the
client firewall.