Networker

Re: [Networker] Datazone Size...

2008-09-30 18:16:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Datazone Size...
From: Will Aymond <Wilbur.Aymond AT SHELL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:13:09 -0500
It's a pretty interesting question... The most clients I've seen on a single
backup server is 700. -Unfortunately, I can't remember how much data that was.
But again, since it's a general question, it really wouldn't matter, because
then you'd have to go into questions like what was the backup schedule, how
many fulls, etc. Properly balanced, with the right schedule, and the right
equipment/setup, I'd say the Legato software is very capable of doing that and
more.

The main problem I remember with doing that many clients at a time was that we
had to change the number of allowed open file descriptors on startup (Solaris
box).

But at it's heart, that's not really the issue.

For large environments it comes down to a simple question: How many eggs do you
want in one basket? (note, I didn't say "Don't put all of your eggs in one
basket")

The thing is, doing heavy network backups is not a great solution.. 700 clients
for example.. each night, at least *one* of those clients is bound to have
problems and fail.. which makes for an IT management nightmare in solving
issues with multiple groups, and tons of problem tickets to chase down, etc.
Now if all of your data is centralized on a SAN or NAS unit, and instead of
having hundreds of 10GB clients, you have just a few large multi TB clients..
you have a ton less to troubleshoot.

Perhaps this is beyond your control, but using your numbers below...

Would you rather have:

 400 clients with 11TB per day
 --OR--
 4 clients with 11TB per day

I bet you already know the answer due to the netapp array you are backing up.
That one centralized array is a lot easier to manage than those other 399
clients right?

-Just food for thought.