Networker

[Networker] Relabeling a tape versus recycling - I'm confused?

2008-09-26 16:25:14
Subject: [Networker] Relabeling a tape versus recycling - I'm confused?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:22:21 -0400
If you re-label a tape (not using the same volume name), what's the difference between doing it this way:

nsrjb -s server -L -b pool_name -S slot

and the answering 'yes' when it asks if you want to overwrite, versus running this instead???:

nsrjb -s server -L -b pool_name -R -S slot

I've always used the first method, although if it has an associated bar code, and I don't plan to reuse the bar code label, then I always remove it from the media database first to avoid associating the previous bar code with the new volume. Also, I remove it first if I'm re-labeling it with the same volume name.

According to the man page for nsrjb and nsrmm, the '-R' option re-writes the label. Wouldn't this happen anyway? If you don't specify the '-R' option then what happens? Clearly, NW has to have some way to store the new volume name on the volume, right? Why would it not re-write the label?

I'd read somewhere that when re-labeling a tape that you should first remove it from the database (nsrmm -d) and then tar some data to it and then label it? Is this the same as using '-R'.

Can someone please straighten me out on this issue.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair
NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center