Networker

Re: [Networker] staging (or something else?

2008-09-26 03:43:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] staging (or something else?
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:39:48 +0300
On Friday, 26. September 2008 10:11:09 Peter Viertel wrote:
> Not true...
>
> I use service mode all the time, sometimes for days on end, to regulate
> writes to an over-full adv_file device while staging progresses...

Then it doesn't work according to the documentation.

Quote from nsr_device man page of 7.4.2:

enabled   (read-write)
              This attribute indicates whether a device is available for use.
The value for this attribute is either Yes, No
              or Service.  If the value is set to Yes the device is fully
operational and can be used for all operations.
              This is the default setting for a device.  If the value is set
to No, the device is disabled and may not be
              used. A device cannot be set to No if a device is mounted, since
it would cause the mounted volume to become
              inaccessible to NetWorker until the device is set back to Yes.
If the value is set to Service, the device may
              not be mounted for save or recover operations.  This state is
used to reserve a device for maintenance. The
              device can be used for administrative purposes such as volume
verification, labeling or inventories if the
              device is selected using the -f option.  A device set in Service
mode can not be used for save or recover oper-
              ations. If the device is set to Service while the device is in
use, all current sessions will be allowed to
              complete normally, but no new sessions will be assigned to the
device.  If the device is a jukebox device, the
              device will be unloaded after the sessions have completed.

Best
Dag