Networker

Re: [Networker] Oracle Backups w/o rman

2008-09-24 15:28:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Oracle Backups w/o rman
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:25:25 -0700
We're running Oracle on Solaris.  We don't use rman either.

We backup the os filesystems to disk but skip the Oracle dbf files using
directives in .nsr files.  Once a month (this Friday in fact) we shut
down Oracle and using a shell script rename the .nsr files so they're
ignored by Networker and backup everything cold (at the same time we're
doing that with the Exchange server and several SQL Servers as well).
When the backup is done another shell script renames the directive files
back to .nsr.  The rest of the month we simply backup the Archive Log
files.  This allows us to restore Oracle to any point in time.  We also
use the application software (MK ERP) that uses Oracle as its DB to dump
the full DB to text files every night and those get backed up by the
regular backup process.  We have enough disk space for 4-5 days of those
text dumps.

One caveat is that you have to keep your eyes on the Archive Log files
as they can build up quickly and run out of space.  I have a cron job
that checks the space on the Archive Log filesystems every 20 minutes
and once it reaches 70% full initiates a special backup and delete of
them.

It helps that I'm the sys admin for Solaris, MK, Oracle and Networker so
I don't have to worry about others doing their job for me to do my job.
Also, our Oracle DB is relatively small and simple compared to many
others.

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.
Salem, Oregon