Networker

Re: [Networker] Ubuntu Server and NetWorker Client Install

2008-09-24 10:13:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Ubuntu Server and NetWorker Client Install
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:17:25 +0100
JGillTech wrote:
davina wrote:
This is not a Linux specific issue, it is common to all Unix flavours. NetWorker reconfigures syslog.conf so that NetWorker messages will be written to /nsr/logs/messages, but as you say this will also capture messages from other daemons. It also has the effect of writing NetWorker messages to other places.

I prefer to reconfigure syslog.conf when I install NetWorker. I use local1.notice instead of daemon.notice. I then reconfigure the "Log default" notification within NetWorker to send its messages to local1.notice. I am making the assumption that no other programs in the system are using local1.notice.

This is what I have in syslog.conf after modification:

# Start of lines added by NetWorker etc.
local1.notice           /nsr/log/messages
# End of lines etc...

Can you explain the notion of "facilities" and how daemon and local pertain? I am not sure I understand that different... my thoughts are that all daemons are local to the system. I am a Windows guy.. Linux is not my strong suite.

Don't worry about the names, these are just conventions. These are ways of classifying the logged messages and directing them to where you want them. Think of daemon being the default and local0/local1 etc. being user defined classifications. The warning/notice/alert part is the severity or priority of the message.

Where did you reconfigure NetWorker to send its messages to local1? What type of information is stored in these logs? I was under the impression that logs were kept and maintained on the central NW server.

In the notifications, there is one called "Log default". This sends all "notice" messages to daemon.notice by default, but you can change it to something else.

The syslog daemon can be configured in many ways. Some sites use syslog.conf to direct messages to a central logging server. The nearest equivalent to syslog in Windows is the event log.

Does this help any?