Networker

Re: [Networker] NMC

2008-09-10 18:03:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] NMC
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:59:48 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] NMC, Preston de Guise said (at 7:36am on Sep...:

I'm having problems with GST.  We have Networker 7.3.2 on Solaris 9.

When I try to start GST, the gstd.log comes back with:-

gstd: Internal error: could not get database handle.
09/10/08 12:35:49 gstd: The most recently called subfunction returned error 2.
09/10/08 12:35:49 gstd: Internal error: could not release database handle.
09/10/08 12:35:54 gstd: library error 22 os error 0
*** gstd stopping at Wed Sep 10 12:35:55 2008

Anybody have any ideas?

I've usually found it resolved through one of the following 3 activities:

(1) Sometimes gstd gets accidentally started via sudo (e.g., it crashed once and it's getting restarted manually via sudo); it will fail in these scenarios. [Less likely to be the cause].

To expand on what Preston said...

It fails because in a typical sudo setup, HOME is set to be the home
dir of the person running sudo, so the startup isn't finding
some of the necessary files that get put in root's HOME directory.

With recent versions of the gst startup script, this should no longer be
an issue, because the startup script will also search root's home
directory (actually what it expects root's home directory to be, if you've
changed it, it will fail) and use that if it finds the .odbc.ini file.

This also means that another failure case happens when an administrator
removes the .odbc.ini or other files from root's home directory, not
knowing that they're needed for the correct operation of NMC.

Tim
edu