Networker

[Networker] EDL with Embedded Networker Storage Node

2008-09-10 15:49:29
Subject: [Networker] EDL with Embedded Networker Storage Node
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:46:30 -0400
Terry Lemons wrote:
> Hi
>
> Why not use the NetWorker Management Console to manage the embedded
> storage node?  After adding a storage node resource for the EDL embedded
> storage node, select 'Scan for devices', select the embedded storage
> node, click 'Start scan', and check Monitoring -> Log for progress.
> When this completes, configure the library.  Once configured, you can
> use the Properties tab for the autochanger and tape drives to view the
> serial number (in the Device serial number field of the General tab).
>
> I believe the embedded storage node was conceived with the premise that
> you'd never need, or want, to log in to the EDL to run CLI commands like
> 'inquire', 'jbconfig', etc.  What do you need that you can't do with
> NMC?
>
> Thanks
> tl

For day to day administration, I agree that the NMC will work, it's when things
go wrong that you absolutely want to be able to troubleshoot from the command
line.

Here are a couple of examples we've encountered:

In the embedded storage node you have a linux environment that is running the
Networker software, right?  Well if you have a problem labeling a tape, how do
you tell if it's with the linux environment or the Networker software from the
NMC?  From the command line I can run mt and compare that to labeling a tape
via the NMC.  If I'm adding a new physical drive and I want to bind the scsi ID
to the WWN, I absolutely have to do that from linux.  If I'm not sure that the
device definitions are correct and want to compare the serial numbers from the
embedded storage node definitions against my physical devices, I have to run
inquire.

I do take your point, the GUI simplifies things, but I've got root access to
every other piece of EMC gear, and not having it on the EDLs ties my hands (and
increases the number of support calls handled by EMC) and slows down the
troubleshooting on the (admittedly rare) occasions that we have a problem or
reconfig.

-brerrabbit