Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems scanning old tapes with SSIDs that span tapes - MORE

2008-09-05 13:53:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems scanning old tapes with SSIDs that span tapes - MORE
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:43:10 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
09/04/2008 11:54:04 AM:

> I'd be interested in knowing the final verdict from support. Under
> normal circumstances, how would you ever know the actual order of a
> multi-tape to scan?

You scan each volume twice, apparently. See below.

> This sounds like another huge flaw in Legato logic to be aware of,
> unless there is an official explanation and reason for having to do this
> the way you did.

This is what Tech Support told me:

Please review and follow the steps on page 310 of NW 7.4 Multiplatform
admin's guide below for the details.

Which says:

To rebuild the save set?s entry in the client file index and the media
database:
1. Log in as root or Windows Administrator.
2. At the command prompt, run the scanner program on the volumes that
contains
the appropriate file or files:
scanner device_name
3. Use the output from the scanner program to determine:
? Whether the save set to be rebuilt is on this volume.
? Whether to reintroduce the contents of this volume into the online
(Locate all the volumes that contain this save set ID.)
4. If the save set is found on multiple volumes and the order in which the
volumes
were written is unknown, complete this step. Otherwise, skip to Step 5.
a. On each volume that will be reintroduced into the online indexes, run
this
command:
scanner -m device_name
The media database is updated with information from each volume.
Note: If the volume contains data from an earlier version of NetWorker,
there may be
no pool information on the volume. In this case, the volume is considered
to belong to
the Default pool. To assign the volume to another pool, use the -b
pool_name option in
this step. If the volume already belongs to a pool, the -b option will
have no effect.
b. Query the media database to determine the sequence in which the volumes
were written:
mminfo -a -v
In Step 5, the volumes must be reintroduced into the online indexes in the
same order in which they were written.
5. Starting with the first volume that was written, run the scanner
program:
scanner -i device_name
The scanner program prompts for a new volume until you terminate it. Scan
in
the remaining volumes in the order in which they were written.

IOW ... scan *twice*. Scan each tape once with -m, to put it in the media
database. Then query for the sequence of the spanning datasets, using
mminfo. Then scan *AGAIN* with -i, in the sequence order.

Which strikes me as an extremely BRAIN DEAD way of doing it ... if you can
figure out the sequence by querying the media database, why can't NW do
the same thing? Why should I have to scan every tape *TWICE*, and in a
specific order at that? If I can tell by looking at the fragflags where
the head, middle, and tail of the saveset is, and which volume it is on,
how can NW not do the same? It seems almost inconceivable ...

To me, that's just really bad design or programming. Very user unfriendly,
and very time-consuming. I'll never know if the old saveset I wants spans
multiple tapes. So I'll have to scan each old volume twice, *just in case*
the saveset spans multiple tapes.

Well, I'm extremly disatisfied with THAT behavior .... the only way around
it that I can see is extraordinarily long browse/retention times. Right
now, I have 2 months browse, and 2 months retention. I'll have to increase
that to a year or two, otherwise every recover I want that is older than 2
months will need to be scanned twice.

At the moment, I am one unhappy customer ....