Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-09-02 07:35:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 07:27:05 -0400
Perhaps NW has gotten smarter about dealing with VTLs in 7.4 and I don't have a VTL so take what I say with a large grain of salt!

If I was to go with a VTL, I would not allow the VTL to write the physical tapes. I would have NW control the physical tapes as well as the virtual tapes. I do not want to get into the situation where the VTL has copied a virtual tape (VT00001) out to a physical tape (VT00001) and then NW recycles that tape in the VTL and uses it again. NW has now lost track of the data that is on the physical VT00001. If you can keep NW from ever recycling the virtual tapes so that it never loses track of the data on the physical tapes, then you'll be ok.

Much easier (in my mind) to have NW stage the data from the virtual tapes to a different physical tape. Doing that means that you can have small virtual tapes and large physical tapes and not waste tape media and according to recent discussion here, increase performance on the VTL and decrease the risk of virtual tape contention.

Frank