Networker

Re: [Networker] enabling compression

2008-08-25 16:52:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] enabling compression
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:46:59 -0400
Netapp filers use NDMP (either using tapes attached locally, or using the DSA
protocol to send via the network) to backup the server, rather than Legato's
native client. In this case, Legato has nothing to do with how the backup is
done on the client. The NDMP client (the NetApp) controls how the backup is
done and merely streams the datasets within the Legato savestream. If there was
any way to compress the data, it would be an option within the NetApp dump
command. If there was any way to compress it, it would be in the NetApp
documentation and be sent in the "Application information:" field within the
Legato client.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
www.ox.com                | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139