Networker

Re: [Networker] lto4 and encryption

2008-08-23 05:27:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] lto4 and encryption
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:23:30 +0100
Yard, John wrote:
I am reading up on the documentation and encrypting the content of lto4 drives .
I am using Networker 7.4 sp1 with
an IBM ts3310. I understand that to do software encryption I need to install EKM on my AIX 5.3 box.

I think you understand this incorrectly. EKM does not do software encryption. EKM does not do encryption at all. EKM manages the keys used for hardware encryption, performed by the LTO-4 drives.

I would prefer however to do hardware emcryption/decryption . The ts3310 has a hardware encryption feature. Why can't I simply turn on this hardware encryption feature ? If so what is the advantage of turning on EKM ?

In order to turn on the hardware encryption on your LTO-4 drives you need something to manage the keys, this could be a separate package such as EKM, or it could be built in to your backup software if it supports it (TSM does, NetWorker doesn't), or it could possibly be built in to your library.

Read it again...